Thursday, February 02, 2012

Patience & Pantone


I think I mentioned it before – I am finding the wait to move into our new condo long and tiresome.  Our current closing date is July 23, 2012 but who knows if it will be bumped and by how long.  I am preparing myself for a delay up to October/November just so that I'm not too disappointed if/when it happens.  As long as we are our new home a few weeks before Christmas and the wedding I will be happy.  If we move in before my birthday (August 27) I will be ECSTATIC! 

Cedric, our new couch, came in this week.  Derek and our dear friend Chris delivered him to my parents’ basement where he will stay, packaged up until we move.  Until then, all I can do is daydream about how he’s going to look in our new living room.

Here are some things I've been dreaming about...

We currently own this piece of art from Urban Barn.  It's called California Collage and it's printed on canvas.  It's quite large, measuring 59"W x 29.5"H, and for $179 plus tax we thought it was a fairly good deal since it was so large.  We bought it shortly after I moved in, and it's the first thing we ever actually bought together, which was pretty exciting.  Side note - I just checked out their website and it is currently on sale for $89!  


We have it above our bed and it looks a little something like this during the day:


And like this at night time:


We love the warm tones and the pops of purple, turquoise and yellow.  Also, the Rodeo Drive street sign reminds me of one of my favourite movies - Pretty Woman.  Now we just have to get out to the beaches of California and Hollywood so that it can be that much more personal!

We are not 100% sure, but we are planning on hanging our California Collage above Cedric in the living room.  So it should look a little something like this:


I think it gives us a great starting off point for adding colourful pillows to the couch, don't you?  If you haven't already heard, Pantone named Tangerine Tango the 2012 Colour of the Year.  How exciting!  I think some orange pillows, against the gray couch and underneath the rusty warm art will look just awesome!


I can see why they chose Tangerine Tango - it's bright and energetic without being too harsh and it feels warm and fresh at the same time.  I think it would look great against crisp white or even other colours like turquoise and pink.  My future mother-in-law is very fashion forward and for Christmas gave Derek and I some beautiful kitchen-wear in this exact colour.  I think it's going to look beautiful in our white and gray kitchen.

Since the colour of the year obviously changes.....every year, I don't think I would ever go all out and paint my walls based on Pantone's suggestions (unless I was really in love with the colour).  If you are curious, here are the past 4 colours of the year:


Here's how NDesign and Style  suggests adding a little Tangerine Tango to your life without a huge commitment.  


I love all of these pieces.  I actually can't choose my favourite but it's definitely between the chair, lamp, pillows and elephant tea towel.  Honestly, I want them all.  

One project I am looking forward to taking on is painting Derek's grandfather's desk chair.  It pretty much looks exactly like this:


It's has a great shape, is sturdy and comfortable.  Honestly, it looks beautiful as is, but we both think that painting it a fun and dramatic colour will add an unexpected punch.  Tangerine Tango might be it!

So have you guys been following Pantone's colour selections every year?  To keep it real - I had never even heard of Pantone or the Colour of the Year until very recently, but I think it's kind of neat, and now that I think about it, I have noticed quite a bit of orange popping up.  I have heard before that all design ideas begin on the runway which is kind of interesting too.

So, are you guys pumped about this orange colour or do you find it too in your face?  Also, I know many people who are totally against painting wood, especially a vintage chair - please don't hate me!  I promise to share my process with you, and maybe once it's all finished and in our home I will change your mind forever!

PS: I had to include a picture of my parents' dog, just because his name is Tango....


No comments:

Post a Comment